University of Würzburg
The history of Julius-Maximilians-Universität (JMU) Würzburg reaches back as far as 1402. At that time, it was the sixth institution of higher education to be founded in the German-speaking regions of Europe, after the universities in Prague, Vienna, Heidelberg, Cologne, and Erfurt. Many eminent scholars and scientists, 14 Nobel Laureates among them, have conducted research and taught in Würzburg. Notable scientists include Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen, who discovered X-rays in Würzburg in 1895, and Klaus von Klitzing, who discovered the Quantum-Hall Effect.
In the 1990s, the university began founding cross-faculty research centers, which opened up new research areas and possibilities for innovative degree programs. These interdisciplinary centers, such as the Research Center for Infectious Diseases, have become an internationally prominent trademark of the University of Würzburg.
The creation of research centers has pushed the university into the top tier of German academic institutions and has had numerous positive effects. For example, it has rapidly boosted the amount of public funding, private donations, and research funds from industrial companies. The number of academically prestigious publications has also grown significantly since the mid-1990s.
Role within EMPHASIS
The University of Würzburg is the leader of WP3 (Synthesis of eco-friendly electrolytes tailored for new electrode Materials) and is responsible for the development of ionic liquid electrolytes based on borate cations. These electrolytes will be tailored to the electrode materials developed in WP1 and WP2. Subsequently, the University of Würzburg will incorporate the ionic liquids into polymer or gel electrolytes for devices for smart textiles applications.